Error compiling 1.5.0 under Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 64-bit

Makepanda is included in cvs, just not in the correct position to build from - its in /doc and simply needs to be moved to the root. Go look in /doc/doc/INSTALL-MK for clues. Note that when it talks about the thirdparty stuff you will need the 64 bit version from one of my previous posts in this thread. Also note that when calling makepanda you will need to disable sound and ffmpeg under 64 bit linux.

Im a bit confused… I checked out the source using cvs, and there was a makepanda.py in a makepanda folder (Dont know why!)

Now… using cvs, where can I get the third party folder? (thirdparty/pmw, etc…)

You don’t - the thirdparty stuff isn’t kept in cvs, I’ve created a 64 bit version of the third party stuff: http://www.thaines.net/content/panda3d/thirdparty.tar.gz

To get the samples just download them from the download page here. Note that for the 64 bit version the directory linux-libs-a in thirdparty should be renamed to linux-libs-x64 - that change was made after I created that .tar.gz file. I imagine that when Josh releases 1.5.1 both directories will exist in the thirdparty directory you get from the download page.

Edit: For the makepanda, its possible to keep something in one place in cvs but have it check out elsewhere, so I guess that is what is happening. Don’t know really - I did wonder as I don’t remember having to move stuff around!

Guys, I-OFFICIALLY-LOVE-YOU. Our team has just finished compiling panda on the RHEL5 and things are going smoothly. Right now, we’re hunting bugs in our game.
Thank you very much.

Note: We had to edit some lines in the makepanda.py file so that it can link to other 64 bit packages installed. (Ex. /usr/lib/glib-2.0 to /usr/lib64/glib-2.0, etc)

This sounds good. Can we commit these thirdparty libs to CVS, Josh/drwr?
In the CVS there are only the thirdparty packages for ODE and Cg, currently.

pro-rsoft: Right now only cg and (presumably) ode work with 64 bit - that thirdparty file contains ffmpeg and OpenAL as well because whilst I compiled them and attempted to get them working it proved to be too complicated for the amount of time I had. (Though the problems themselves are probably quite simple - its the matter of understanding what is going on that is the time consuming bit.)

At some point I might find the time to have another go at this and get them working, but I don’t actually need either of them yet and so am in no hurry I’m afraid. Apologies for being fundamentally self centred;-) But right now it makes sense to omit them, as that way people will not try and compile them and suffer the inevitable failure.