egg-palettize: direct texture assignment to a group

As part of the egg-palettize process, I’d like to assign a texture directly to a group to control which subdirectory the texture is “installed” into. I am having trouble getting this to work. The key lines in my txa file are:

:group test_group dir assets/textures/misc

test.png : 50% test_group omit

I am making the following call to egg-palettize:

egg-palettize.exe -af /c/working/depot/Tools/Testing/palette_test/test.txa
-d /c/working/depot/Tools/Testing/palette_test/release/assets/models
-dm /c/working/depot/Tools/Testing/palette_test/release/%g
-dr /c/working/depot/Tools/Testing/palette_test/release
-g default
-gdir assets/textures
-opt
-nodb
assets/models/misc.egg

misc.egg was generated by egg-texture-cards.exe and references several textures. When I run egg-palettize, all the textures are installed to the default ‘assets/textures’ directory, even test.png, which I am trying to install into assets/textures/misc

Has anyone else had any luck with this? Thanks

With egg-palettize, you can assign egg files to groups, but not textures. Assigning an egg file to a group implicitly assigns all of the textures within the egg file to that group.

In principle, that should be all the control you need, since the only reason to put a texture in a particular group is to indicate that it will be onscreen at the same time as all of the other textures in the same group. Since presumably the entire egg file will either be onscreen or offscreen at any given time, assigning the entire egg file to the group should be sufficient.

David

According to the output from egg-palettize.exe -H, the following is one of the options for a texture in the txa file.

“”"
(group name)

A texture may also be assigned to a specific group by naming
 the group.  The groups are defined using the :group command
 (see below).  Normally, textures are not assigned directly to
 groups; instead, it is more useful to assign the egg files
 they are referenced in to groups; see below.

“”"

Is this option no longer supported? Should I update the egg-palettize source code so this option is no longer displayed?

Hm. I didn’t know we ever supported that feature, or even intended to support it–yet I must have written that documentation! Let me look a little closer.

David

Wow. 6 years later and I’m trying to do the same thing. I am trying to assign textures referenced by the same egg into different egg-palettize groups, and the following output from “egg-palettize -H” makes me think I can assign a texture directly to a group.

“”"
(group name)
A texture may also be assigned to a specific group by naming
the group. The groups are defined using the :group command
(see below). Normally, textures are not assigned directly to
groups; instead, it is more useful to assign the egg files
they are referenced in to groups; see below.
“”"

I guess that is still a bogus documentation string?

Er, oops. Yes, it’s still bogus. If you’d like to correct the string so that it reflects reality, that would be fine; alternatively, if you think the reported feature would be useful, you’re invited to modify egg-palettize to actually do that. :slight_smile:

David