Distance Rendering

… Don’t ask ChatGPT for useful advice, please. It’ll tell you–with full apparent “confidence”–complete nonsense.

In this specific case, yes, its response seems unlikely to be accurate. The “point” regarding fog in particular makes no real sense to me.

Now, as to your question, I’m not sure of what specifically is happening, but as I recall there are issues with using very large floating-point numbers–as in the case of moving to a position very, very far from the origin.

To be clear, this is less a limitation of Panda3D than a limitation of floating point numbers. It’s possible, of course, that there are engines that have built-in solutions to this; I don’t know.

I’ve seen threads on similar topics in the past, as I recall–see this one, for example.

In short, there are a few potential solutions, if this is indeed the source of your issue. For two, you could try recompiling Panda to use double-precision floats (although even that has limitations), or you could try shifting the world such that the camera never gets all that far from the origin.

I’m not confident of this next, but I’m also not sure that a far-distance of 100, 000 is wise: you might find that you hit some depth-buffer precision issues with that. But I stand to be corrected!