DirectButton doesn't show state dependent geometry.

I need some help here. I wan’t to create a DirectButton instance with my own geometry.

I have an egg file, holding information for four geometries specifying for each of the states. In my code I load the egg file using

geometry = loader.loadModel (<<egg file>>)
geometry.ls()
button = DirectButton (relief=None, geom=geometry)

When I view the output of ls() it shows me I have loaded a model with a single SwitchNode and four child GeomNode

SwitchNode buttonNewGame [class command]
  GeomNode buttonNewGame_normal (1 geoms: TextureAttrib TransparencyAttrib)
  GeomNode buttonNewGame_clicked (1 geoms: TextureAttrib TransparencyAttrib)
  GeomNode buttonNewGame_highlight (1 geoms: TextureAttrib TransparencyAttrib)
  GeomNode buttonNewGame_disabled (1 geoms: TextureAttrib TransparencyAttrib)

However, when the button is showed, it only displays the first geometry and there is no visible sign of state dependent selection of geometry.

Any ideas???
:frowning:
[/code]

Use it something like this instead:

b = DirectButton(geom = (geometry.find('**/buttonNewGame_normal'),
         geometry.find('**/buttonNewGame_clicked'),
         geometry.find('**/buttonNewGame_highlight'),
         geometry.find('**/buttonNewGame_disabled')))

Hi,

Solved it. It turns out that DirectButton explicitly needs a tuple of four NodePaths to create state-dependent switching. However, I assumed,
since the geometry.ls() showed it to me, that if I specified a SwitchNode in the geom parameter it would automatically see the state-dependent nodes and then act accordingly. Turns out I was wrong. By explicitly using the .find method and creating a tuple it started to work how I wanted it to work.

However, it triggers me why it is not possible to drop a switchnode in the DirectButton geom parameter. I think this is what you really want. Then the switch behaviour simply becomes part of the .egg resource file instead of the code. Perhaps a new feature for upcoming version??

Anyway, thx. for the quick response.

Feel free to make a patch. It’s python code, so it probably wouldn’t be hard to add this feature.