Direct Session ... Direct Tools ... Scene Graph Browser

I finally got Direct Session to work. I don’t understand why this tool is pushed to the back of the manual. Its almost hidden away. I’d love to see a tutorial series built around this tool.

For those that haven’t used it. Start reading about it here:
www.panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Panda_Tools
www.panda3d.org/manual/index.php/T … ph_Browser
www.panda3d.org/manual/index.php/E … Navigation

To get the Direct Session panel to appear:
Open up the etc folder (mines located here C:\Panda3D-1.5.2\etc)
Open the Config.prc file with Notepad.
Change want-directtools #f to want-directtools #t
Change want-tk #f to want-tk #t
Save the changes and close the file
Open up your code file (***.py)
Add import direct.directbase.DirectStart to your code
Save and run your file

Wow. I knew about it’s existance, but I only just looked at it – it’s a really amazing powerful tool!
Thanks very much for posting!

without editing .prc, you can start it at runtime by calling :

base.startDirect()

some want-* config vars have equivalent translation in showbase as base.start*, e.g. startDirect, startWx, startTk.

Does Direct Session work when using Python 3.5?

When I enable the flags want-directtools #t and want-tk #t

I get an exception at launch of:

File "C:\Panda3D-1.10.0-x64\Pmw\__init__.py", line 30, in <module>_instdirs.sort()
AttributeError: 'filter' object has no attribute 'sort'

Digging around a bit it looks like this is a difference between Python 2 and Python 3.

But, pwm has a 2.0 version that works with Python 3. However, it looks like the one that comes with the installation is pwm 1.3.

I’m very new to Panda3D and Python, so I’m not sure I’m talking sense.

Is this expected to work with Panda 1.10.0? TIA.

Hmm, yes, we may have to update our Pwm version. I think the direct tools have not yet been tested with the Python 3 build.

If you manage to make it work with a newer Pwm version, please do post your results!

OK, good to know that’s not unexpected. Thanks for the note.

BTW, I can also report that pview does not run in the 1.10x64 download. It looks like a similar 2.7 v 3.5 problem. Without the debugging tools I don’t think the 3.5 version is presently viable.

Unfortunately, I don’t think I have enough knowledge at present to get this working, so I’ll see if it’s acceptable to use Python 2.7 for my project. (Unlikely, but maybe.)

Please provide more information about pview not running. pview doesn’t use Python so there isn’t supposed to be a problem here. Which build did you grab, exactly, and what error message are you getting?

Hey guys,
I added some models ingame, but how do ye save them.
I want to leave it like I left it… anyone have a idea?

Install last Pmw with pip and add to panda SDK