Did CMU abandon Panda3D?

just peek here and prepare yourself to be :open_mouth: by pro_r

Those do not include contribution to the CVS branch which, iirc, is hosted on sourceforge (launchpad has difficulties importing panda’s cvs also)

These are the real contributers:
ohloh.net/p/panda3d/contributors/

Hope the panda3d developers, supporters, community finds a solution for maintanance and releases. infinitve, usable panda libs > €

a due clarification croxis - hope the incomparable David don’t get offended :wink:
PS: that ohloh is really cool

I had to jump in here to correct this.
I’m afaik the only one from the community who contributes to CVS. But The Disney VR Studio is still the #1 developer and (I hope) will always be. They certainly do share their progress. In fact, they check in stuff directly to Panda CVS and add very cool&big features.
David is the leader of them all with 7605 commits (atm) but others from Disney VR Studio contribute regularly, too.
Proof. cia.vc/stats/project/panda3d
Besides that, I believe there are some other companies contributing once in a while, such as Disney Imagineering and Schell Games.

ohloh.net/p/panda3d/contributors/

Hi, I just logged back in after a long hiatus from this, getting a new machine built just for the purposes of doing some high-end 3D work and also writing a book of my own.

I would very much like to contribute some code, but I’m afraid my C++ is very rusty (STL wasn’t even a term when I took classes on it.) The depth and scope of something like Panda is incredible, but I wouldn’t know where to start in that department. For me it’s always been about making utilities that make difficult tasks easy.

I’m still plugging away at using Python and wxPython as well for some windowed GUI utilities. If that might still be needed by the community I’d be willing to donate my skills and time, provided there was a good roadmap. Last time I was here there were murmurs of dropping Tcl/Tk and going to a GUI library that was a little more robust. Most of the programs I’ve made have been tools that made some of my own work easier in Panda and PyGame.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and hi again!

Heya… any official progress on this topic?

Regards, Bigfoot29

I’ve been lurking for a while using the forums as the awesome reference that they are during 2 years of enrollment at the ETC. I just graduated, so I don’t have the current and immediate status report, but I was around for the whole transition turbulence, and my understanding was the following:

• Disney got impressed at what the ETC was doing, and handed over most/all development rights to the ETC. Big celebration on the ETC end.
  • Within a couple months, Josh Yelon, the primary maintainer at the ETC, got a better job elsewhere. Somehow, not to many folks seemed to register that this was a BAD THING ™ w/r/t having just gotten primary development responsibility.
  • The ETC continued, and continues, to use Panda3D for just about everything, but I’m not honestly sure who’s currently in charge of taking the various student one-off extensions to Panda and actually integrating them in a stable, reliable, and truly platform-agnostic manner (think the current autoshader implementations vs the old Bamboo project work). I bounced the notion of joining the ETC as programming faculty off of The Don once or twice, but he didn’t seem enthused. It looks like someone is releasing new official builds, so I’m guessing somebody has the issue under control to some extent.

Heya.

As far as I know, CMU is actually doing their steps in being more involved. I don’t have news I can prove, so I will not going to say things I am not sure about.

However, I think, even with CMU on board (again), it might be a good idea to have a sort of council/foundation that keeps the “free” devs on eye level with CMU and Disney. -> Means: Information is going to be distributed into all (needed) directions. This will also make “us” free devs/users a bit more independend in case something like “last year” (CMU-wise) should happen again.

Regards, Bigfoot29

Hey all,

Currently in the ETC there is a team working on helping make the 1.6.2 a more stable version (with the collaboration of pro-rsoft and everyone involved in developing panda, meaning that we are not imposing, rather we are helping and getting help about this). We are working with Mike Christel in order to make this happen.

Also as it was mentioned before in this thread in the ETC we are still working with Panda3D in BVW and some of the student projects work with this engine, including my last project called Sketch it up which is a software tool for sketching game ideas (we are hoping to release the tool soon here at the forums, we are just making it a bit prettier, so to speak).

There have been proposals also for next semester regarding Panda, but I don’t know the status of those as of yet.

Hope this clears out some of the issues or questions people have about the current status of CMU on this.

See you all around,

Also so to speak, we are also indeed trying to get more things up for Panda. In time, with help from pro-rsoft and david ofcourse we would be able to add quite a few things this year. There is still a on-going discussion about making AI libraries for panda3D of which i am a part. The project is still up in the air, not sure yet. And also once crayon3D and Sketch-it-Up(projects of ETC) are added into the panda3D technologies it should be well and good.