demo not running

when executing

ppython /Developer/Examples/Panda3D/[any demo].py

I get:

DirectStart: Starting the game.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Tut-motion-trails.py", line 7, in <module>
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/directbase/DirectStart.py", line 3, in <module>
    from direct.showbase import ShowBase
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 10, in <module>
    from pandac.PandaModules import *
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/pandac/PandaModules.py", line 32, in <module>
    from libp3visionModules import *
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/pandac/libp3visionModules.py", line 2, in <module>
    Dtool_PreloadDLL("libp3vision")
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/pandac/extension_native_helpers.py", line 79, in Dtool_PreloadDLL
    imp.load_dynamic(module, pathname)
ImportError: dlopen(/Developer/Panda3D/lib/libp3vision.dylib, 2): Symbol not found: _cvCreateCameraCapture
  Referenced from: /Developer/Panda3D/lib/libp3vision.dylib
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

I svn/installed OpenCV to no effect. I have seen some similar “symbol not found” errors, mentioned, but not this one, and I couldn’t derive a solution from them. Looking at OpenCV, it looks like something that I wouldn’t use, and maybe I could just disable?

I’m using PPC G5 with Leopard.
kthx

Hm, I’ll look into it. Which version of Panda3D is this? 1.7.0, or a buildbot release? Also, you’re on a PPC machine, right?

I think I know what the issue is, and I’ll get to fixing it - in the meantime, please try disabling the vision module by editing /Developer/Panda3D/lib/pandac/PandaModules.py, and commenting out the part about libp3visionModules.
(alternatively, you could empty the file lib/pandac/libp3visionModules.py .)

Thanks for helping out. Yes, I am running a PPC. Panda is 1.7.0, from the main download page.

Commenting out did seem to bypass that error, which is good. But something new happened. It opened a little window that was all white, and hung for a bit, then got this:

DirectStart: Starting the game.
Known pipe types:
  osxGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
Bus error

omg I don’t even know what a bus error is. I’ve never heard of it before. I thought buses just did whatever they were supposed to.

Does running ‘pview’ at the command-line crash, too? If so, could you get me a backtrace of the crash by running this command:

gdb -batch-silent -ex 'handle SIG33 pass nostop noprint' -ex 'set pagination 0' -ex 'run' -ex 'backtrace' -ex 'thread apply all backtrace' -ex 'quit' pview

‘pview’ with no arguments opens a window with a gray background and a triangle that moves by dragging the mouse. ‘pview panda.egg’ crashes with the same bus error.

Here is the output from running the ‘gdb’ command:

Reading symbols for shared libraries .....
warning: Could not find object file "/Users/rdb/pandaworker/panda3d-1.7.0/built/lib/libvrpn.a(vrpn_Button.o)" - no debug information available for "vrpn_Button.C".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/rdb/pandaworker/panda3d-1.7.0/built/lib/libvrpn.a(vrpn_Connection.o)" - no debug information available for "vrpn_Connection.C".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/rdb/pandaworker/panda3d-1.7.0/built/lib/libvrpn.a(vrpn_Tracker.o)" - no debug information available for "vrpn_Tracker.C".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/rdb/pandaworker/panda3d-1.7.0/built/lib/libvrpn.a(vrpn_Dial.o)" - no debug information available for "vrpn_Dial.C".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/rdb/pandaworker/panda3d-1.7.0/built/lib/libvrpn.a(vrpn_Analog.o)" - no debug information available for "vrpn_Analog.C".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/rdb/pandaworker/panda3d-1.7.0/built/lib/libvrpn.a(vrpn_FileConnection.o)" - no debug information available for "vrpn_FileConnection.C".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/rdb/pandaworker/panda3d-1.7.0/built/lib/libvrpn.a(vrpn_BaseClass.o)" - no debug information available for "vrpn_BaseClass.C".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/rdb/pandaworker/panda3d-1.7.0/built/lib/libvrpn.a(vrpn_Shared.o)" - no debug information available for "vrpn_Shared.C".

I have no directory “/Users/rdb/”

Yeah, you can ignore those warnings.

Try this command, then:

gdb -batch-silent -ex 'handle SIG33 pass nostop noprint' -ex 'set pagination 0' -ex 'run' -ex 'backtrace' -ex 'thread apply all backtrace' -ex 'quit' --args pview panda.egg

Wait till it finishes - at one point it may appear to be stuck, it may take a long time.

Whew. Forest fire near my complex. Had to evacuate. (mega frowny face)
Unfortunately I won’t be able to do any more for at least a while. But from what I remember, I was running your test on 1.6 as well. In one point six, the panda model shows up and can be moved around, but the demos still exit with a bus error. The full ‘gdb’ command, with both versions still wasn’t returning any new information, if I am not mistaken.