Converting panda CVS repository to Git

No, you have to use rsync to get the RCS files (ending with ,v). Even if your tool of choice doesn’t consider it a necessity, it is still highly recommended because of performance reasons (all files are accessed locally) and because one is able to make local changes before conversion (such as the fix-up script I posted earlier). Both scripts I gave you are the ones I use for creating the public panda3d/incremental.git repository.

The problem with cvs2svn is that it doesn’t support incremental changes; it is a one-time conversion only. cvsimport does support incremental changes, but requires the fix-up script I posted above.

I’ve personally written my own conversion utility that handles incremental changes like cvsimport but also supports advanced branching patterns, but it’s not quite finished yet and still needs polish and testing.

If you do want to use cvs2svn/cvs2git, though, there’s a script for that floating around further up in this very thread.

Thanks.
For a second, I forgot I was on a Mac.
rsync is already pre-installed, so I was ready all along. :mrgreen:

EDIT:

rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (54)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-42/rsync/io.c(603) [receiver=2.6.9]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (318997 bytes received so far) [generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-42/rsync/io.c(452) [generator=2.6.9]

Server side issue?

I get that when I check out on one of my systems, but it’s fine on another. Odd.

Oh, be sure to do the whole thing on a case-sensitive filesystem.

I just tried again, on two Ubuntu based systems. Gets stuck at /CVSROOT/history with no error message, whatsoever.

You mean it gets stuck at rsync or cvsimport?
It’s a big file, and just takes a long time. I don’t think you’ll need it for the conversion, so you can just omit it.

If you want, I could rsync a copy and upload that somewhere for you to download, though that’s not ideal if you plan to keep making more conversions in the future.

It gets stuck at rsync (syncing CVSROOT/history).
The folder size at this point is just 4KB.

A tarball would be fine for now, I guess.

Panda3D is on Git now:

Closing this thread.