Compiling panda3d with open free libraries only

Hello everyone,
I am interested in making a commercial game with Panda3d and I only recently discovered this engine. But I am a bit confused with all these third-party libraries included. So, in short, my question is:
Is there anyone here who can recommend me what libraries to include while building panda3d from source so I won’t have any restrictions or surprises when I release my game?
I have read the manual about third-party dependencies but I have no clear image of what features I will lose if I exclude some libraries.
To be more specific, I am interested in basic features only like audio and video playing, basic images and texture / materials. So if I exclude directX libraries and Cg toolkit, will I be able to create a functional game for windows?
Of course I intend to seek lawyer legal advice in the future, I just ask this question here to obtain basic advice to get me started. I looked through the forum but all similar questions and answers are too old.
Thanks in advance.

You might want to check the FMod license; depending on your purposes, it may be free, and it may not be.

I think–and don’t quote me on this–that OpenAL is an alternative that’s free without restriction, albeit perhaps not as richly-featured as FMod.

Thank you, I have already checked that. I don’t mind about rich-features, so openAL should be fine for me.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums!

There should not be any significant restrictions using the Cg toolkit, but yes, you can compile Panda3D without it and use the GLSL shading language instead, though the built-in shader generator will not work and you may have to write shaders yourself. (This is something we’re working on fixing.) However, if you just have basic texture/materials, you may not actually need shaders at all, or very simple ones.

Ah, thanks! This answer is actually enlightening and made it clearer for me. I don’t mind writing my own shaders.