Compiling Games?

Hi,
I’d like to know how do you compile panda games (python scripts) to Linux executables?
I’ve seen windows .exe files around made with panda…
Thank you.

An compiled executable isn’t really needed for linux. every linux distro that I can think of comes with python pre installed. However you are probably interested in the linux installer which will be coming with version 1.6

You can apparently use PyInstaller to make a standalone linux distribution but that’s just what I’ve heard from pro-rsoft, haven’t done it myself.

wiki.python.org/moin/Freeze

Hello

of course, you can package python projects (also panda3d games) into a linux binary.

Like my previous speaker said there are several tools for this:

But you should know that a “packaged” python binary, which was build on a linux/unix system, will only run on other *nix systems with the same (or similar) kernel environment.

Therefor the pyinstaller for example includes a script to build the platform specific python runtime executbales, based on your local python installation and platform specific environment.

On windows it’s a little bit easier, because the corresponding runtimes (contained in pythonXX.dll) will be shipped out pre-builded within most of all freezer-tools.

Why this is important? For example, if you package a python project on a SUSE-Linux the resulted binaries will not run under a HP-UX system. This maybe sounds obviously (Linux != Unix) but the package will also not run on a Fedore or a RedHat system (although both are linux)!
This is because runtime executbales and compiled shared libraries differs on both system architectures.

So you have to build for all differenting target-*nix systems separate binaries. Yes, this means that you need also physical platform-installations (SUSE, RedHat, FreeBSD, …).
Consequently most of all python-developer ships out their python projects naturally on linux.

[color=darkred]>>Masaru<<