Compiling for OS X - 10.3.7

I am trying to compile the cvs and I’m running into a dead end.

I have ppremake up and running. That’s good.

ppremake on dtools works, but when I do make for dtools, I’m getting an error.

cd ./src/dtoolbase && make install
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `install'.
cd ./src/dtoolutil && make install
g++ -dynamic -dynamiclib -o Opt3-osx/libdtoolutil.so -install_name libdtoolutil.so Opt3-osx/dtoolutil_gnu_getopt.o Opt3-osx/dtoolutil_gnu_getopt1.o Opt3-osx/dtoolutil_dtoolutil_composite1.o Opt3-osx/dtoolutil_dtoolutil_composite2.o -L../dtoolbase/Opt3-osx -L/usr/local/panda/lib -L/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib -ldtoolbase 
/usr/bin/libtool: can't locate file for: -ldtoolbase
/usr/bin/libtool: file: -ldtoolbase is not an object file (not allowed in a library)
make[1]: *** [Opt3-osx/libdtoolutil.so] Error 1
make: *** [install-dtoolutil] Error 2

any help would be awesome! thanks.

I am very sorry, I posted this in the wrong Discussion area. I appologize.

Unfortunately, we haven’t finished porting Panda to OSX yet. There is some rudimentary support for OSX in the build scripts, but it is far from complete.

If you would like to continue the effort where we left off, I can put you in touch with the developer who was leading this effort previously. Otherwise, I’m afraid you will have to wait until we announce official support for OSX.

David

Please. And I anxiously await the OSX port, although I know I’ll be waiting some :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, I didn’t fully understand your reply. Did you mean that you are, indeed, interested in contributing to the porting effort, or did you mean that you would prefer to wait for us to finish it?

While we have made some progress on the port, it is not a priority for us and at the present we have had to put it aside while we work on other things that have a tighter deadline. Eventually, we will return to it and finish it, however; it’s just a matter of time.

If you are interested and have time available, you may be able to contribute to the effort yourself. This would require learning a lot about the current build system of Panda, which is fairly complex (see panda/src/doc/ppremake* and the scripts in dtool/pptempl/*.pp). It would also require knowing a lot about the system build requirements of OSX, and how they differ from BSD and Linux. However, the reward would be that you (and others) would have access to Panda on OSX that much sooner. :slight_smile:

Is this something you are interested in doing, or would you prefer to wait?

David

Unfortunately, I will have to wait for the OSX port then.because I do not know all the things that make OSX different from the BSD, although I have inadvertantly run into a few :smiley:

I would like to, but I don’t think I have what it takes yet.

Hey, what better way to learn the differences between OSX and BSD than to try porting Panda over? :slight_smile:

Seriously, Panda has been ported to several Unix platforms in the past (IRIX, SunOS, freeBSD), so it shouldn’t be too hard to get it over to OSX – I encourage you to keep trying – I’m sure others on the forums can help with suggestions if you hit problems.

OSX Panda would be great!

Well…I am still trying. I figured out the first problem was due to my Config.macos.pp (I copied the Config.Linux.pp file) and saw that I was using .so as my Dynamic Lib Extension and changed that to .dylib and then she compiled further along the pipeline.

I’m now at a new cross-road:

Lain:~/panda3d/dtool/metalibs/dtoolconfig pope$ g++ -dynamic -dynamiclib -o Opt3-osx/libdtoolconfig.dylib -install_name libdtoolconfig.dylib Opt3-osx/dtoolconfig_dtoolconfig.o Opt3-osx/dtoolconfig_pydtool.o -L../../src/dconfig/Opt3-osx -L../../src/dtoolbase/Opt3-osx -L../../src/dtoolutil/Opt3-osx -L../../src/interrogatedb/Opt3-osx -L../../src/prc/Opt3-osx -L/usr/local/panda/lib -L/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib -L/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3 -ldtoolutil -ldtoolbase -linterrogatedb -ldconfig -lprc
ld: Undefined symbols:
_PyArg_ParseTuple
_PyInt_FromLong
_PyString_FromString
_Py_BuildValue
_Py_InitModule4
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed

i would be very much interested in Panda3D for OS X myself. i know C/C++ and Python, but i don’t have experience with compiling projects on Unix (or respectivly OS X) yet.

still, Pope, if you could summarize what you have done until now to get CVS up to the point you have currently reached I would like to dig in and help if possible. i’m willing to learn. :slight_smile:

k.

I’m trying to find the right system to teach teen game development, however I’d prefer a platform that works on both MacOS and Windows.
I’ve lots of experience in commercial software development (MacOSX/Macromedia Director/Lingo, more info at: www.j4u2.com/jht )

I’m willing to attempt the MacOSX port.
Contact me directly at jht@j4u2.com so I can build on what’s already done.