Cannot find the python SDK

I appreciate any assistance, Josh.

OK, here’s the results:

erTo.h weakPointerToBase.h weakPointerToVoid.h weakReferenceList.h windowsRegistry.h zStream.h zStreamBuf.h express_composite1.cxx express_composite2.cxx
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=

Looks like LD_LIBRARY_PATH is blank.

Since Josh looks to be unavailable for a bit, does anyone have some thoughts on this?

Hmm. Can you show me (a) the value of LD_LIBRARY_PATH before you start makepanda, and (b) the contents of the file /etc/ld.so.conf ? That is, I’d like to see the output of the following two commands:

env | grep LD_LIBRARY_PATH
cat /etc/ld.so.conf

Also, exactly what parameters are you passing to makepanda?

David

to the "env | grep LD_LIBRARY_PATH " I got nothing.

I did an “env” just to make sure I hadn’t mispelled the search string and nothing even close.

to the “cat /etc/ld.so.conf”

include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt3/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib/libmcrypt
/home/allen/Downloads/Panda/panda3d-1.0.4/built/lib

I start makepanda with "makepanda/makepand.py --everything

I’ve got a “built” directory so it seems to me that the compile worked at least once but i couldn’t get panda to start in the manner that the docs suggested it should so I figured something was less then right.

Ah ha! I think I have it.

Try running, as root, the command “ldconfig”. Then try to run makepanda again as a normal user.

David

results of running ldconfig as root:

did a “makepanda/makepanda.py --everything” as user and got the following:

Starting compile in "panda/src/chan" (15 min 15 sec):

g++ -ftemplate-depth-30 -c -o built/tmp/chan_composite1.o -I"/usr/include/python2.3" -Ithirdparty/linux-libs-a/nspr/include -Ibuilt/tmp -Ipanda/src/chan -Ibuilt/include -O2 -DBUILDING_PANDA panda/src/chan/chan_composite1.cxx
built/include/pandaNode.h: In member function `virtual TypeHandle PandaNode::force_init_type()':
built/include/pandaNode.h:413: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:https://qa.mandrakesoft.com/> for instructions.

The above seems like the relevent stuff. If more is needed, let me know and I’ll run the compile again and post more.

Funny thing is, after my very first compile I was getting what seemed to be some Panda-related activity. The mouse pointer would turn into a cross-hair pointer while within the console window. If I clicked within the window, while the mouse pointer was a crosshair, that would terminate whatever it was that was running.

Allen

Hmm, a compiler core dump, not such a good thing. What a bucket of worms this is! What version of the compiler are you running?

gcc --version

Did you try making clean by blowing away the built directory first?

The crosshairs thing certainly isn’t Panda behavior. I’ve never heard of that before. Does it happen when you compile other programs?

David

I did’nt blow away the “built” directory. Should I have?

re: the crosshairs thing…

Nope. Never saw it before. I just assumed it was Panda-related. Not, hey?

Yes, please do try starting from a clean build.

Nope, never heard of that crosshairs thing. Could it be a Python thing under Mandrake for some reason?

David

Never saw the crosshair mouse pointer before and don’t have a clue why it might show up.

Scrubbed “built” and fired off another build. It pooped out on what looked like the absence of the TIFF libraries. I installed everything that looke vaguely TIFF-related, scrubbed “built” again and have another build going.

I’d cross my fingers but I can’t type that way.

OK, need some help here.

I know Panda’s looking for a library but using the search string “gl” pulls up too big a list to install it all. There’s a heap of stuff with “glibs” in the name but it’s too big a list to install all of unless I have too.

It’s looking for a file named libGL.so or libGL.a. On RedHat those files are in /usr/lib; they may be elsewhere (or not installed by default) on Mandrake.

David

In Mandrake libGL.so is in /usr/X11R6/lib

I can’t find libGL.a on the system.

libGL.so is sufficient. You only need one or the other.

Probably makepanda needs to be modified to put /usr/X11R6/lib on the -L path when you are compiling on Mandrake. In the meantime, you can cheese this out by linking the critical files into /usr/lib. Do the following command as root:

ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL*.so /usr/lib

David

could I stick that in /etc/ld.so.conf?

You could try that–were you the one who added the panda build directory in there? Remember always to re-run ldconfig after you modify ld.so.conf.

But I’m not sure if that would help; you need to tell the compiler where to find the library, not the loader. I’m not sure if gcc looks up in ld.so.conf for its libraries. It might.

David

Yeah, I added build/lib to the ld.so.conf. I didn’t add /usr/X11R6/lib to the ld.so.conf since the consensus seemed to be that it wouldn’t do any good.

I did the “ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL*.so /usr/lib”, zapped the build directory and did a makepanda/makepanda.py --everything. Pooped out in three minutes with:

../../../built/bin/interrogate: error while loading shared libraries: libpystub.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I ran a locate on libystub.so and it’s in panda3d-1.0.4/built/lib/libpystub.so

The compile ran lot’s farther before I did the “ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL*.so /usr/lib”

Are the two related? Should I rm the symlinks?

Allen

No, don’t remove the symlinks; they’re still needed to link with the libGL libraries.

You should consider removing the “built” directory from your ld.so.conf file. That’s what actually confused makepanda into not adding the library name to LD_LIBRARY_PATH–and since you hadn’t run ldconfig recently, the system wasn’t searching the path by default. I think that may be related to the problem you’re having with interrogate now.

Try removing this line now, and then re-running ldconfig.

David

I think I’m moving forwarder but I’m not sure.

Here’s the tail end of the compile:

I tried starting Panda and got this:

Allen

Hmm, we appear to have come full circle. So now it appears that, after the build, genpycode is in fact being run–although it’s strange that I don’t see any meaningful output from it. Maybe it’s still erroring out?

What happens if you run genpycode on the command line by itself? Maybe after you run:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/my/path/to/built/lib

David

Since this last compile ran longer then any of the others I was hoping I was getting closer to having Panda work. Oh well.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/allen/Downloads/Panda/panda3d-1.0.4/built/lib
[built]# bin/genpycode
enumerate is already present in __builtin__
Segmentation fault