Can you be an artist and a programmer?

Hello,

Just curious as to how many indie game developers are out there.

Do you think it is feasible to make a game solo? Do all the art and programming yourself? Or is that just being unrealistic?

Interested on your thoughts :slight_smile:

I think that’s how a lot of people do it. The biggest thing is just time. You’ve got to learn more stuff if you’re going solo. You’ve got to learn panda’s programming, but also how to model, also how to texture your models, and you’ve got to storyboard your game a little. Certainly having multiple people working on this will go faster than going solo.

If you can find someone to help you in a project you have, great. Otherwise just start getting to work. It’s not impossible.

All my work is solo work, but then again I do this more as a hobby than actually trying to bring anything to market.

Good point.

The way i see it, artists create beautiful looking games with crap gameplay.

Programmers can create fun games that are actually entertaining even though the graphics suck.

I think if i am to get my project off the ground i willhave to scale back the game size and intended audience and focus on gameplay. There is just no way an individual can compete with the multimillion dollar studios out there.

I wish it was 1980 where you could get rich off pacman :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, let me see, what do I do in this dept.?
Scene planning, scene modeling, texture gathering, texturing processing, UV mapping, basic scripting, tweaking, rigging, animations, … However, I often require assistance from programmers or artists in our dept.

Don’t attempt to do everything on your own, firstly, it’s not fun. Secondly, it is very draining. Thirdly, it doesn’t look good on your CV. If you can do every-things on your own, having no skill in team-work is a definite NO-NO. Get people to help you out.

Do not get your ambition and pride to eat you alive. You eat them, don’t let them eat you.