can i get any help?

hello…i m new member here…i wish to produce a 3d game…i m a student…my lecturer suggest me to use panda 3d…but i duno single things bout panda3d and how to use it…
first…wat should i download and install??
is the developer version?or?
i really confuse…
if i model in maya…after that??wat should i do in order to develop a 3d game?

pls help me…=(

first you should download the developer version of panda3d - id suggest version 1.6.2 at the moment because it is more stable and if you need some of the new features of 1.7 you can still switch.

you can get the offline-documentation for 1.6.2 from here

do you know python? if not you can get a quite good tutorial in Byte of Python

for maya import/export look at the end of the manual

if you want you could join me with one of my projects…

and if you have any questions - im there.

wao…hmmm…byte of python…hmm
nvr heard wo…soli ya…coz tis is my first time develop a 3d game…b4 tis all 2d games…

o?u also having a project?
it is so nice if u willings to help me…
i appreciate so so much…

means…
i install…
then import 3d model(follow byte of python)
hmm…
the movement of character…
need do in maya or do in panda3d?
panda3d use language of?

soli ya…i cn sy duno everything…

could you please write more like standard my english is not that good?

panda uses python for scripting or c++ if you want so knowing python can help much…

the model import is in panda3d manual and movement is mostly done by panda but morphing and stuff should be done in maya, i think

so so so sorry…
i forget i used short form…

oh ya…i will try explore it first…i need some times to explore it…
by the way…
u got any method that enable me to reach you expect forum?anything i will pose here…can u guide me?
so sorry for trouble you…

i got errors to run the sample…
in manual…
it is stated that “This error is fairly self-explanatory: it means your video drivers are inadequate. Obtain better drivers.”

how to obtain better drivers?

Go to your GPU site and download the drivers from there… What example are you running that says you need better drivers? Do you even have a gpu?

why why?i had update my GPU…still cannot run the sample…same error…anyone can help?

You’re not providing us very specific information. Things you could tell us that would be helpful would be:

(1) Precisely what program(s) you are running that produce the given error message. Does it happen with pview, for instance? pview is the simplest program that runs Panda libraries, and if you get an error message with pview, it means that no other Panda programs are likely to work until you solve the problem.

(2) Precisely what error message are you seeing? You quote only the line from the manual, which advises you to obtain better drivers. From this, I infer that you are seeing the error message that reads, in part, “your OpenGL driver only supports software rendering.” If this is true, then updating your drivers will usually solve the problem. Another workaround is to edit the Config.prc file that ships with Panda and change the line:

load-display pandagl

to:

load-display pandadx9

or possibly:

load-display pandadx8

or even:

load-display tinydisplay

A brief explanation: Panda is a tool that issues commands to your graphics hardware. It works with lots of different brands and models of graphics hardware. In order for it to do this, Panda relies on a bit of software that should be already installed on your system, called a driver, that provides a set of standard calls to your particular hardware configuration. If your driver is not properly installed, or does not match your hardware, then Panda cannot use it to render graphics (and neither can any other 3-D application).

On Windows, it is common that the drivers that are installed with the computer are inadequate. They very frequently do not contain support for OpenGL. However, sometimes they contain support for DirectX8 or DirectX9, depending on how old your computer is. So it is worth trying these interfaces instead of OpenGL. Failing that, you can try “tinydisplay”, which is Panda’s software-only rendering system, which does not rely on 3-D hardware at all and thus doesn’t require good drivers to be installed–but it is not as fast, powerful, or good-looking as the true hardware API’s.

To install an adequate driver, you must know the brand of graphics card you have installed in your computer. It is usually NVidia, ATI (AMD), or Intel, but there are a few other possibilities as well. It is also helpful to know the particular model of graphics card; there are hundreds of models out there. With this information, you can go to the appropriate web page (e.g. nvidia.com), and select “download drivers”, and enter the model of your graphics card and the version of the operating system you have. Then it will give you instructions to download and install the appropriate driver for your configuration.

We can’t give you specific instructions for how to do this, because we know nothing about your particular hardware configuration. But we can give you general advice like the above. If you are unable to install an appropriate driver, using one of the load-display fallbacks may be sufficient.

David

kc sent me a email about what he has…

I ask him to run the simple panda model in the manual, but it was a no go.

sorry late reply you all…now the problem settle as i am using my brother laptop now…

but…i just wan to confirm…

now…i modeling in maya…
is it i need to do movement(animation) in maya???
then just import into panda3D???

and just code using python?

propably going through the panda tut could help very much -> http://www.panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Tutorial:_%22A_Panda3D_Hello_World%22

maya-python still has some issues -> http://www.panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Converting_from_Maya
you normally do animations like shaking hands or running in your modelling program while the movement of the whole model is done in panda (eg running anim done in maya, moving the model while playing the run-anim done in panda)
further info can be found at http://www.panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Models_and_Actors (in the manual) i think

panda-programs (which move your models and stuff) are mostly written in python calling panda libraries.

i hope that helps…

hmm…thanks …^^