BUG: new PG Entry crashes panda when attached

just running this causes panda3d to segfault on windows xp 32 the panda3d 1.5.3

import direct.directbase.DirectStart
from pandac.PandaModules import PGEntry
e = PGEntry(“string”)
render2d.attachNewNode(e)
run()

also see bugs.launchpad.net/panda3d/+bug/270033

Hmm it also appears that pgentry cant go up or down … or enter multiline text.

Also when you click on it and you have added some tmp text to it the curer goes to the left but then when you start typeing it goes to the right and all the chars go there too. So you move cruiser manually with self.entry.setCursorPosition(len(self.entry.getText())) every time you click on it or when it gets new text.

NOTE the above problem can be fixed with calling pgentry.setup with proper dimensions.

I doubt the init is done upon construction, since DirectEntry does that job.
Is the last problem still this old one :
discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=4326

I couldn’t reply your PM, treeform :

so here it is :
Yea. Pity, I just don’t have the time. I have to finish my grad project, it’s very very urgent. And I’m neither a CS student nor a gamedev wannabe :laughing:
This whole 3d stuff only polishes off my real thing. It’s about <5% of my entire workflow.
Aren’t there already great ppl ?

PGEntry is not meant to be used without calling setup().

David

but it should not segfault, it should say assert : you need to call setup first or make setup mandatory on constructor or just dont do any thing.

Agreed. Furthermore, the API reference should at least mention this design decision.

Still, when you create PGui objects, you are directly using low-level objects that were not intended to be used directly, and their documentation and interfaces may not yet be up to Panda’s normal standards of user-friendliness.

David