Books for beginners?

Hey,

I’m just wondering if there any good books out there that are great for someone totally new to game programming (but not general programming) that use Panda3d.

Something along the lines of, say, “Beginning Game Development with Panda3D”.

Thanks.

Hmmm…
Currently there is none. :frowning:
At least not as far as I know.

Its sad to say it, but the userbase of Panda3D hasn’t reached a critical mass to think about releasing a book that covers Panda3D in special.

Another side is the constant development of Panda3D. If you keep in mind, that a book takes at least a year to be completed (recherches, testing, writing, co-reading -> mastering, printing), it would be rediculously outdated the day it hits the shelves.
Sure, 60% would still work, but many things would have changed, copy-and-paste-examples wouldn’t work because of a small change in syntax or program structure.

As much as I would love to have what you want, I have to doubt that it would make sense unless there is anything planned in a matter of a “long time support” of a special Panda3D version. But that wouldn’t make sense also - each new release brings new nifty things that makes updating definately worth it. So why would you want to use bow and arrow (long term supported) when you can have a nuke instead? :wink:

Regards, Bigfoot29

PS: But there is a good beginners tutorial in the manual. Dunno if you checked out that already. Note, that there are dozens of good python beginner tutorials as well out there (internet). It might be a good idea to start there to understand the Panda3D mechanics better. :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I actually know python pretty well. What I don’t know (and would like to learn) are the mechanics of 3d game programming.

Do you think there’s anything I need to do, learn or cover before I jump into the panda manuals?

I see your point on why there aren’t any books on it yet though.

Thanks.

Well, best way is: try it yourself.

When you know the way Python works, the manual should be quite good enough. :wink:

At least it was when I started Panda3D (something around 1.0.5) :wink:

If you have questions, feel free to ask in the forums. You should find quite much already covered - and entry questions should be answered rather quick. :slight_smile:

Regards, Bigfoot29