audio loop problem with openal

I’m using OpenAl for audio on Linux because the latest FMOD I downloaded/installed does not appear to work (Ubuntu 10.10). It gives:

:audio(error):   load_dso(libp3fmod_audio.so) failed, will use NullAudioManager
:audio(error):     /usr/lib/panda3d/libp3fmod_audio.so: undefined symbol: _ZN4FMOD6System13setFileSystemEPF11FMOD_RESULTPKciPjPPvS6_EPFS1_S5_S5_EPFS1_S5_S5_jS4_S5_EPFS1_S5_jS5_Ei

So I switched to OpenAl - which does work. Except for looping sounds seamlessly. Always a blip of silence between loops. The sounds are WAV files and I have been through the suggestions here:

panda3d.org/manual/index.php … ing_Sounds

…still not joy. I am certain the WAV is correct and not the cause. Well, in so much as it plays fine and if I loop it in Audacity (or any other sound editor) there are no problems.

Not sure if the console messages are relevant, but they are:

[wav @ 0x92586f0]Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
[wav @ 0x92586f0]max_analyze_duration reached
[wav @ 0x92586f0]Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
[wav @ 0xa62e7e10]Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate

A bit stumped. Any suggestions? Much appreciated in advance.

Cheers,
Gary

btw - it’s Panda 1.7.0 I’m using in this instance

Hi

I had a little blip at the end of the loop, but that was due to a little dead space at the end of the sound file. I fixed it by playing it on the computer and recording it onto my digital recorder, but stopping the recording just before it entered the “dead zone”. I don’t have any sound editor on my computer so that’s why I did it this way. After downloading back to the computer I had no more blip when running Panda program, which is also v1.7.0. Not sure if you are having the same problem, since you said you ran it in a sound editor ( maybe it detected the dead space and just didn’t play it …). Maybe you can try using the sound editor and clip off about .5 sec on the end and then see if you blip.

Good luck and Happy New Year,
tim

I fixed it. Using the sweep audio editor instead of audacity. Not quite sure what I did to be honest, some option on export, but it seems a “wav file” actually has options/format variations, so I’m curious now what variations/formats of wav Panda3D supports.

Thanks!
Gary