Artist looking for something to do!

Hey guys, currently I’ve a cold so that’s why I’ve yet to respond, and there seems to be a lot you want me to cover.

Katch:
I agree, if we can find an animator who wants to help us, I’d be more than glad to include his animations.

I know how to setup a skybox built out of several images:
Left side.png
Right side.png
Front side.png
Top side.png
Bottom side.png

You’ll need to make sure they’re seamless, though. All I’ll do is place them properly. (No worries about rotation, I’ll fix it)

I’ll try to get you an example soon. If you’re really eager the example code for the demo I posted is here and it has two images inside of it. the ‘map.png’ which controls the height and drop of the map itself, and the ‘map_texture.png’ which is put over top of the map generated by ‘map.png’ (darker pixels are further down, lighter pixels are higher up, it’s a simple gradient)

both you and adr: it seems the official name (for now, whatever that means) is Suyo-Suyo Supernova

Yes, the weapon creation from stars sounds like a good idea and I think it’s do-able.

P.S. I like the boss model, it look’s really cool. You’re the artist, do what you think is good for a house model.

Adr:
(in a completely non rude way) Do you want to handle the idea-book?
Just throwing it out there that either one of you is more than welcome to also build onto it, or handle it completely if you want.

Networking api: right, we will have a server, with server-sided API, and a networking client, with client-sided networking API, I’ll handle basically all of this for us. You can learn from all my stuff once I’m finished with it, too, if you’d like.

Object api: Mostly information on objects/weapons can just be stored in the nodepath’s themselves. Via NodePath.setTag/getTag and NodePath.setPythonTag/getPythonTag

Player api: Sort of with the above, most the information will just be stored in random non-orginized classes and held on the nodepath’s themselves or in arrays/dictionaries

Music api: This really only need’s to be one small file, in fact I’ve an example (pretty much all we’ll need) that will let us controll the volume of sounds effects and music independantly.

When you say some way to save some basic information, do you mean client sided or server sided? Server sided we have an object API for MYSQL.

as far as a menu API, do you reckon each menu would be in it’s own class, and how automated do we want it? I’ll bet we can go with a more pixel-based moveable window situation with some nice scrollers, mostly we’d need some prepared gui images.

**KATCH
Should the gui look dark or light hearted? in your opinion? I’m going to design it mostly, so it’ll be almost completely unrelated to you, do you feel it would have more of a ‘star trek’ theme, like everything is black-ish or more of a light hearted-blue-white-non-american-flag theme?
**KATCH

adr:
Yes the client should be able to have up to x characters. I’mma jump to conclusion and say they can have 7. Because 7 is my lucky number :smiley:

Players will get around to stars by opening a (gui menu) window that will have an artistic-ly drawn (By Katch) map, much like the one in the idea-book I gave out. Then you can click on each planet to travel to it.
Some planet’s will be greyed out until you unlock them at NPC’s by beating quests etc…

Ah, a place for storing stuff… humm.
Do you want a centralized point of some sort? Google code? I can set us up a Git Repo, and we could each have a copy of the repo on our computers. That’s only if you’re all okay with using command line tools.

Katch will mostly just email me files (whenever they’re ready) and I’ll upload them for me and you. (Hint hint, Katch)
Katch: Email me the files whenever you complete them. Like above I’ll give them to adr as soon as you give them to me, or him ;D, I’ll PM you my email address.

As for the login system, do we want it in-game? Are we going to host this on a website? I can host it on lightpoke.com and we can use the lightpoke.com account’s for login, though I dunno if you guys would be comfortable with that. We could try google app engine? or something? I dunno, where do you guys want to host the game on?
adr: we can probably use an HTML input box for login, like I do on my website, and it can transfer the username/password through javascript to panda3d.

~powerpup118

Hey guys, what you are doing is wonderful, i have best wishes and high hopes for you :slight_smile:

Couple of suggestions, use wiki of sort for planning game, its easy to loose track in forums.

It would be great if you would host your project on public server (project = source), i will be one fanboys who will read every line of code with love :slight_smile:

And if you would go even further, and log all your communication and make it public … :slight_smile:

EDIT1: If you want to use git, command line is not necessary, i use it with GUI for quite some time.
On windows, i mostly use Git Extensions, on linux smart git and git cola. (git cola is only for committing) .

@Powerpup:

Models emailed.

I thought about having a lighthearted GUI with light yellows and pretty blues. (Like the kind that you would see on those pictures of a sleepy moon in those childrens books, do you know what I mean?)
I also had an idea. Can you guys make a sphereical terrain with a Super Mario Galaxy esque gravity? (You walk around the world, and end up where you started)

I think the login should be in-game. Just an opinion though.
Sorry youre sick. Get well soon!

Hey guys. I had a little time here. I sorta don’t know how it setup it up fully, but I got the google code area up.

code.google.com/p/suyo-suyo-supernova/

Also, for temporary reason, I used the linces GNU v3 for right now to just get it all out of the way. I need to keep reading this linces, but it seems like a good one we can use for right now.

Once you make accounts, please pm me them so I can add you to administor area for more control.

I’ll try to add what we have in the pdf this weekend to the wiki and then add come code we can use.

Katch:
Yes we can add “sphereical terrain with a Super Mario Galaxy esque gravity.” When we get that far anyways;)

Login:
I do not care what system we use for login. It would make it more portable if we kept all login inside the game instead of a website.

@adr: Exellent. I have a feeling that this game will turn out great. I PMed you.

@Both: The skybox is going to take a while to do, because my com (I’m using another one right now) got the blue screen of death. :cry:

However, My library has a copy of photoshop on it for me to use. I also have my 3D modelling software on a Cruzer, so I can continue to work on the “artistic ambience”

I also got some concept art done, if anyone wants me to post it on the wiki, or anything.

Katch: You don’t need to make a new account. Just sign in and you are ready to go with full control I think. :slight_smile:

I’ll be back on tonight to start working on the wiki and adding some code up, but in the mean time, you can add your work too if you wish. This way we get can start on what to work with and what we need so far.

I’ll need some time with the wiki to see how that works unless powerpup118 knows how… or you. Either way at least we’re making steps forward :slight_smile:

Awesome. I can start uloading any models onto there if it will let me.

Love the plot summary you stuck on the wiki.

I am posting the weapon creation on it right now.

Ok :slight_smile: making more and more steps forward as we go. I just got my svn up and running and added some temp code to see how it’ll work:)

I’ll move your models from the download to the branch under the folder “Models” That way we can keep track of them.

Red alert!

I just tested the .3ds on my com. For some reason, the .an8 to .3ds conversion screwed up the wireframe on ALL of the models.

I will try to fix the problem, but in case that I cant, what other file types can be used?

Really sorry. You can use the messed up ones for testing purposes, but they’ll look a tad…clunky.

Katch, Adr, let’s move our discussion to google code’s tracker.

I feel as though:
A. The tracker on google code will be more organized to us, we can create multiple topics.
B. Designing our video game is completely off-topic and irrelevant to an artist looking for stuff to do.
C. I think that’s basically what GrizzLyCRO was talking about as well -> All discussion for this is now on google code, please!
Will talk to you there,

~powerpup118