Are there easy Python bindings for This engine?

import direct.directbase.DirectStart

def LoadModel(model):
    m = loader.loadModel(model)
    m.reparentTo(render)
    return m

car = LoadModel("box")
car.setPos(1,1,0)

base.run()

Sorry, the working wrapper function looks like this.

def LoadModel(model):
    m.reparentTo(render)
    return m

Because Ursina is incomplete and has a lot of missing functions like loading 3d models, physics, etc. Iā€™ve scoured the internet for weeks and found no good 3d library for Python that meets my criteria.

This is because some methods are replaced with operators. If you translate everything into operators, the code will be very unreadable and large .

Ah, I seeā€“Iā€™m sorry to read it! :/

Simplified it even more.

import direct.directbase.DirectStart
from easy import *

car = LoadModel("box")
PositionEntity(car, 1, 1, 0)

base.run()

easy.py

def PositionEntity(link, x, y, z):
    link.setPos(x,y,z)

def LoadModel(model):
    m.reparentTo(render)
    return m

Of course, I do not know how to create an operator in Python, but parentheses do not complicate everything so much.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just found what I was looking for. Itā€™s Blitzmax-NG, it uses the simple Blitz Basic language, can export to Android, and it has 3D and Newton physics.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad that youā€™ve found something that suits your desires. :slight_smile:

Wait, Iā€™ve just found that that software is full of frustrating errors, and it fails to run, compile and many other things. So Iā€™m back to zero. :angry:

Finding a dream is a long process, and frustrations can come at any time.

Argh, thatā€™s a pity! I take it that youā€™ve looked at the other Blitz-variants, as I gather that there are?

Otherwise, are you by any chance interested in developing a specific type of game? If so, then you may find a game-making toolkit dedicated to that type, and which isā€“perhapsā€“simpler than a more-general engine.

I am looking for a light-weight 3d game engine that has vehicle physics and that can export to Android, with a simple programming language like Basic or Python, non-node based. There seems to be few good alternatives to Unity but Unity is heavyweight (large framework) and it does not compile an app that allows loading custom audio or models at runtime, I use Unity but this time I need something else for this specific task of mine.

As I said, perhaps youā€™ll find something if you look for an engine or toolkit specifically geared to that sort of game. Or even perhaps look for a ā€œgame-makerā€ or ā€œgame-making toolkitā€, rather than a ā€œgame engineā€.

I thought Game making software is the same as engine. Anyway, Iā€™ll keep looking, and meanwhile I will study the Panda3d API and create a wrapper around all the useful functions in it.

Eh, I think that thatā€™s one of those things thatā€™s arguable. For myself, I see a distinctionā€“something like Adventure Game Studio seems different to me than something like Unity. However, the exact boundary appears quite fuzzy, and I could easily see people disagreeing that there is a distinction at all.

Either way, itā€™s not a terribly important matter, save that it might affect what search terms you use.

By the way, have you looked through the following list? Perhaps thereā€™s something useful to you there.

Iā€™ll check that link

1 Like

A promising engine that is programmed using a python-like language.

There seems to be no mention at all on how to compile a panda3d game on Windows, later on on Android ? There is only instructions on compiling the entire engine from source. I am confused :confused:
Ok, I found one in the docs but it mentions ā€˜distributingā€™ applications, yet I searched for ā€˜compilingā€™. But no mention of distributing for Android.

This section, I believe, is the documentation that youā€™re looking for. :slight_smile:

Or, if you want a quicker and more straightforward (if then less thorough) guide, you could take a look at this lesson, being the last one of my ā€œbeginnerā€™s tutorialā€.

As to Android, I believe that support for it is still in the experimental stage, Iā€™m afraid. :/

So does that mean that there is no way at all to build an Android APK from it ?

I honestly donā€™t knowā€“itā€™s not something that Iā€™ve looked into, myself. (Iā€™m not developing for Android, personally.)

Perhaps one of those involved in developing Android support will have more insight!