AR trouble

I’ve been messing around with the ARToolkit in Panda3D and I’ve had a few problems. The key issue I have now is that the virtual object does not line up well with the actual marker. The orientation is correct but the position of the virtual object is wrong. I believe that the problem is because I’m using the camera_para.dat file that was included in the original “artoolkit-sample”. I’ve tried looking all over the net and the original artoolkit website for a way to correct this but it seems like the artoolkit website is out of date. The files that their tutorials reference no longer exist in the package you can download. Also, all they seem to have is source- no simple binaries for the configuration programs that generate the camera.dat files.

Does anyone know where I can get a Windows binary of these files? Or does anyone know if this camera.dat issue really isn’t the solution to the displacement I’m getting? Any help would be most appreciated. I’m working on an important project and I really need the AR to work correctly.

When it’s misplaced, usually the issue is actually that the webcam image is not displayed properly behind the scene. Try realigning the webcam image, scaling it, setting the window size to square, or something like that.

and in the rare event that this does not help because you have a wide-angle camera or so. there are tools to create those camera parameter files by running a long set of tests and calibration procedures with your camera. it was included in the artoolkit source afaik.

I am not sure if I remember correctly. It has been a long time already.

I shall have downloaded the artoolkit 2.72 windows binaries version from internet and perform a calibration like this:

hitl.washington.edu/artoolki … ration.htm

@rdb - so, it seems like you’re right. Most of the issues were solved when I messed around with the background image.

@clcheung- yeah I saw that calibration page- the problem I have is that when you download the source all it has is headers to compile and build the software package. I don’t have any experience compiling C++ source and I’m sure I’d mess it up which would just introduce more potential for error.

After correcting the background so that the AR model now fit I’m getting weird flips/jumps in the model. Unfortunately for what I’m doing I need those jumps to be removed. Here’s a youtube video of someone else who looks like he’s dealing with the same problem I have.

youtube.com/watch?v=EZVo-agCPR8

Those flips/jumps look weird but technically normal, isn’t it ?

indeed it is normal. calculating the angle from an almost perfect square simply hard. artoolkit has a option the avoid this jumping. but then you get a lot of jittering instead.

So why you need to remove those jumps ?

A new idea just comes to my mind. If you combine a smart phone with AR, you can get a perfect and smooth effect.