Any one up for OSX work.

Dear Kaweh:

Thanks for the (encouraging) information!

I’ll keep my eye’s peeled for the new release. You are correct that the Universal Cg version (1.5) is still in beta, but it seems to be the only option if Panda3D is gonna run on an IntelMac.

If you get the chance to supply your current patches to get things compiling in general (i.e., what you did so far), I’d be happy to give it a whirl on my macbook and try to work through any intel compile issues.

Latro,
P

Has anyone had any luck with panda3d on an intel mac yet? Using the universal Cg 1.5 etc I was able to build everything just fine, and I can run pview with -h and get the help out so the command itself is working, but whenever I try to have it display anything graphically the process ends with a kill() at the top of the stacktrace; I’m guessing the problem with this lies somewhere outside of panda3d. After giving up on this route, I compiled again on another intel mac and got to the same point, only this time the error was that there was that my libTIFF.dylib did not have a symbol in libpandagl.dylib (__cg_tiffseterrorhandler) if i remember correctly.

So yes, in both instances I got panda to compile just fine, but I could never use pview >_<

Any ideas/success stories from anyone else?

Thanks

A new version of the Panda3D on Mac OS X package is now available:

knuddl.net/moin.cgi/InstallPanda3d

New in this version:

Now builds for PPC and new Intel-based Macs available!
Updated to lastest CVS head revision.
Various dependencies/packages updated.
Removed fftw (see discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=1568).
Compiled against FMOD Ex (though this is currently not working as intended).

Enjoy,
Kaweh

You are right, I wanted to do this for a long time now. Something I need to find time to get around. CVS, ugh! :slight_smile:

Anyways, I hope the new package with the Intel Mac build is somehow helpful.

Cheers,
Kaweh

Try my new build and let me know how it goes. I got pview running and my test programs did run without any issues as far as I could see (though I haven’t tested the Intel version extensivly).

Cheers,
Kaweh

It works and we have a very happy faculty member :slight_smile:

Thank you very much!

While trying to install the package i encountered a problem. If you get the errormessage “sie können nicht fortfahren. Es ist keine Software zum installieren vorhanden” (in english something like “No Software found to install”) You have to remove any remaining Panda3d-x.x.pkg file in the folder /Library/Receipts. This solved my problem, hope this helps someone else as well.

i’m posting this into the sticky thread again, so this information doesn’t get lost.

there is a hack for the 0.5 build to enable FMOD Ex on OS X.

see discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?p=8440#8440

cheers,
kaweh

No problem. The sticky is here because OS X work might get “lost” otherwise.
So, of course, you can use this for announcing news as well. :smiley:

Can someone tell (in short words) the status of the OS X - port?
0.5 is the current release? Whats working? Or in case thats less: whats not? :slight_smile:

Regards, Bigfoot29

i’m using the version on a daily basis and i didn’t yet encounter any problems which are Panda3D + OS X specific (well i had one with mouse-wheel support, but i fixed that).

though rendering with the windows version is a lot faster, but this is probably due to slower OpenGL drivers on OS X.

using Panda3D on my G5, MacBook Pro with OS X, and MacBook Pro with Windows gives very different results regarding performance (MacBook Pro with Windows/OpenGL by far the fastest).

other than that, i’m developling on OS X and my collegues on PC and we are fine.

i would like to sync a new release with Josh, but probably not before end of november because i’m too busy right now.

if you encounter any problems - and maybe include a tester that proves this is an Panda3D + OS X specific problem - i will try to look into these.

and i would wish that installation would be easier, but that’s a totally different project in intself :wink:

cheers,
kw.

Also, FYI, we have recently gotten a lot more serious in the VR Studio about developing for the Mac, and we have begun aggressively checking in fixes for OSX development as well.

Kaweh–what kind of mousewheel problems did you have? Would you mind sharing your fixes with us?

David

i’m really happy to hear that!

mouse-wheel was not implemented in some version (see history on the wiki).

i would definitely be happy to provide my changes and support the OS X version.

i will update to latest CVS later this week and create a patch including my changes. where should i send it?

cheers,
kaweh

You can send it to me via email. Let me know if you experience problems with merge conflicts on the latest CVS.

David

I haven’t forgotten about your request David, just a busy time right now.

I want to release a new version of my package anyways with Josh releasing Panda3D 1.3.0 - so that might be a good point to create a patch.

Josh, do you tag the CVS repository with the 1.3.0 release, i might just grab that tag and go from there?

Cheers,
Kaweh

Yes. There is a tag “panda3d_1_3_0” in there. There’s also “panda3d_1_3_branch” which is a branch tag.

Note that, unfortunately, many of the recent OSX fixes we have been developing in the VR Studio haven’t made it under the 1.3.0 tag, or even onto the 1.3 branch. It didn’t seem like a good idea to destabilize the Windows port while we were developing OSX.

By now, the CVS trunk is pretty stable for both Windows and OSX, but it has moved on a bit from the 1.3.0 version.

David

thanks david. i didn’t get around to try anything yet. sorry.

Hi David,

I am trying to get the OS X version to run from a clean CVS trunk (i have backed-up my previous version). you did a lot of changes, and i rather try to get the current CVS trunk to run correctly on OS X and create a patch from there instead going from a 2 month old version.

currently I hit a wall as soon as i try to make dtool.

cd ./src/dtoolbase && make all
cc   -c -o Opt2-osx/dtoolbase_dlmalloc.o -I. -I/Users/kaweh/Projects/panda3d/dtool   -D_DEBUG -Wall -g -O2 -fPIC dlmalloc.c
cc   -c -o Opt2-osx/dtoolbase_lookup3.o -I. -I/Users/kaweh/Projects/panda3d/dtool   -D_DEBUG -Wall -g -O2 -fPIC lookup3.c
CC   -c -o Opt2-osx/dtoolbase_indent.o -I. -I/Users/kaweh/Projects/panda3d/dtool   -D_DEBUG -Wall -g -O2 -fPIC indent.cxx
CC   -c -o Opt2-osx/dtoolbase_dtoolbase_composite1.o -I. -I/Users/kaweh/Projects/panda3d/dtool   -D_DEBUG -Wall -g -O2 -fPIC dtoolbase_composite1.cxx
CC   -c -o Opt2-osx/dtoolbase_dtoolbase_composite2.o -I. -I/Users/kaweh/Projects/panda3d/dtool   -D_DEBUG -Wall -g -O2 -fPIC dtoolbase_composite2.cxx
CC -shared  -o Opt2-osx/libdtoolbase.dylib Opt2-osx/dtoolbase_dlmalloc.o Opt2-osx/dtoolbase_lookup3.o Opt2-osx/dtoolbase_indent.o Opt2-osx/dtoolbase_dtoolbase_composite1.o Opt2-osx/dtoolbase_dtoolbase_composite2.o -L/usr/local/panda/lib 
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: unrecognized option '-shared'
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_main
std::ios_base::Init::Init()
std::ios_base::Init::~Init()
std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char)
___gxx_personality_v0
std::cerr
std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [Opt2-osx/libdtoolbase.dylib] Error 1
make: *** [dtoolbase] Error 2

i also know what the problem is. if we look at dtool/scr/dtoolbase/Makefile lines 37-38 it says:

Opt2-osx/libdtoolbase.dylib : $(libdtoolbase_so) 
	 CC -shared  -o Opt2-osx/libdtoolbase.dylib $(libdtoolbase_so) -L/usr/local/panda/lib

now this is wrong on OS X. to link correctly it needs to say

Opt2-osx/libdtoolbase.dylib : $(libdtoolbase_so) 
	 g++ -dynamiclib  -o Opt2-osx/libdtoolbase.dylib $(libdtoolbase_so) -L/usr/local/panda/lib

i assume this is because ppremake is using the unix template for generating the Makefile… i don’t see a OS X template. calling CC on C++ code is also odd as far as i can tell.

do you know which *.pp file i should try to fix and see if i can get the current clean CVS trunk to build correctly?

thanks,
kaweh

ps: this is my current local LOCAL_PPREMAKE_CONFIG

#define OPTIMIZE 2

#define HAVE_GL 1

#define HAVE_CG 1
#define HAVE_CGGL 1

#define HAVE_MAYA 1
#define MAYA_LOCATION /Applications/Alias/maya7.0/devkit

#define INSTALL_PYTHON_SOURCE 1
#define HAVE_PYTHON 1
#define PYTHON_FRAMEWORK /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework

#define ALTERNATIVE_MALLOC
//#define DO_MEMORY_USAGE

#define ZLIB_IPATH /opt/local/include
#define ZLIB_LPATH /opt/local/lib

#define JPEG_IPATH /opt/local/include
#define JPEG_LPATH /opt/local/lib

#define PNG_IPATH /opt/local/include
#define PNG_LPATH /opt/local/lib

#define TIFF_IPATH /opt/local/include
#define TIFF_LPATH /opt/local/lib

#define FFMPEG_IPATH /opt/local/include/ffmpeg
#define FFMPEG_LPATH /opt/local/lib

#define HAVE_FMODEX 1
#define FMOD_IPATH /Users/kaweh/Projects/fmod/api/inc
#define FMOD_LPATH /Users/kaweh/Projects/fmod/api/lib

#define PRC_PATH_ENVVARS CFG_PATH ETC_PATH 
//#define DEFAULT_PATHSEP : : 

Have you checked out and built a current version of ppremake? You should see something like this in response to ppremake -V:

newt:~> ppremake -V
This is ppremake version 1.22 built on Oct 20 2006 at 09:59:04.
Default platform is "OSX".

David

i saw toontown online was released for Mac. Is panda3d using different code?