Announcement: First draft of networking documentation online

Greetings all!

I was able to get some free time this weekend, so I drafted some networking documentation for Panda’s low-level networking layer. The first page can be reached here: http://panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Networking.

I haven’t used the networking layer very much in my own projects yet, so I may have missed some important details. By all means, please let me know if I’ve made any errors or omissions.

I’d like to do the high-level layer next, but I’m holding off a bit since there seems to be some controversy on the forums over the direction that piece is taking. If anyone has any thoughts, please feel free to weigh in on that issue as well.

Take care,
Mark

That’s fantastic! Many thanks for putting these pages together.

We do use the high-level interface every day in the VR Studio. I believe that CMU ETC uses it only rarely, if at all. The interface was originally designed to support our MMORPG, and some have expressed the opinion that it is too clumsy to use for things other than MMORPG’s. I disagree; I suspect the biggest problem preventing its adoption for a wide range of applications is a lack of documentation. But then, I haven’t really tried to use it for much else, so I’m not so familiar with all of the issues.

David

Well, there’s that, but I just don’t quite trust the server we wrote on our end. I just think it needs some heavy duty testing.

Is that the server implemented in the ServerRepository class?

I’m afraid I haven’t had time to play around with it much; everything I know about ServerRepository is from the 1.0.5 example and some forum posts. That one will be harder to document, since its docs should ideally include documentation on the .dc file format. I can probably do that, but it’ll be a bit of a slog since its implementation is distributed among several classes and yxx files.

Not to knock the implementation, mind you; that’s (IMHO) the right way to do it :slight_smile: It’ll just be a bit of a safari to pull that distributed information into a coherent single document.

Hm… the more I think about it, the more fun that sounds. Time to look at my weekend plans… :wink:

Take care,
Mark

Don’t forget about direct/src/doc/sample.dc, which illustrates almost all of the valid dc constructs.

David

:open_mouth: points at Fixer Great Work, man… :smiley:

Just flew over it, but folks that need networking right now will love your work. Its good to have a example that also communicates in both directions :slight_smile:

• That makes it easier to adept the idea to the own needs.

Really great work!

Regards, Bigfoot29