Thanks for the quick reply! I’ve gone ahead and done as you suggested, and made a very simply mesh; the mesh generation, at least, was successful and without error, which is more than can be said for my custom map (which is now consistently crashing at Stage 3). I’m setting it up to test for pathfinding now, but something has occured to me. All the videos on the PandAI website that I watched showed totally flat 2D spaces being navigated. My custom mesh, however, has some inclinations that are meant to be navigable by the units using pathfinding, so the floor mesh - and thus presumably the navigation mesh - have to be three dimensional.
Might this be an issue? I know someone asked this about 7 months, but I figure things may have changed since then. It’s one of the few seemingly relevant differences that I can think of between a simple plane and my mesh (otherwise the mesh is larger, has materials, and uses a “Polyset keep descend” collision tag).
Thanks for taking the time to reply!
EDIT: Ah, I’ve solved the problem. After writing this post, I figured it would be best to check everything, just in case, so I went and deleted the collision tags and the materials in Blender, and tried again. This time, it worked, 3D inclinations and all! Between the materials and the collision tags, I imagine it was the tags that were messing the meshgen up, though I can’t be sure. Now to give PandAI a spin.
EDIT 4: So I now have the “couldnt find source” “couldnt find destination” error, and I can’t seem to get past it. I’ve done what another user earlier in this thread did, and checked to make sure all values were on the proper axis, but this didn’t help. I’ve made the meshes on the X-Y axis and the X-Z axis, as well as manually flipping the values in the .CSV file, but the AI can’t find its source or its destination.
I’ve also flattened the meshes, to deal with the fact that PandAI is 2D, but the flattened meshes won’t generate a navmesh anymore, though I did nothing to them besides set their Z-scale to 0. I’ve also left them their height - and I’ve manually set height, PosZ, or both to 0 in the .CSV file. The only meshes that have successfully been made into a navmesh are the 3D ones I tried, though, and that one continues to return “couldnt find destination” and “couldnt find source”.
EDIT 5: I am starting to wonder, after looking at the .CSV file, whether the problem isn’t something else. One major problem I can see is that my model has setScale(10). For some reason, I am unable to replicate functionning full and collisionmeshes anymore, so I am stuck with the ones that are 10x smaller than the map.
I have tried sizing the environment and actors down to scale(1), but this makes my game go wonky, with units jittery against the floor, falling through, or not falling at all and floating around in space, not to mention somehow disabling my selection methods.
Another issue is that, in the CSV file, all values, X and Y, are positive. This is strange, since I when exported the meshes, they were centered on 0, 0, 0, and there were vertices in every quadtrant. In any case, this is probably also a problem, given that my environment is centered on the origin.
I must see if I can correct all these issues; hopefully I’ll manage something soon! If I do, I’ll be sure to post whatever the solution is, in case others ever have difficulty.
EDIT 6: I’m not sure what I did; I created a second version of the terrain, and in that deleted absolutely everything (including light, camera, materials and vertex groups) except the full terrain, enlarged it 10 times, flattened it, and exported it. I forgot to remove the collision tags, but meshGen thought the eggs tasted good, so it seems those aren’t important.
However, I’m not out of the water yet. I find the game no longer gives me the “couldnt find” error if I leave the CSV be, but then I discover that the CSV contains a posZ value of -0,0478745 for all existing nodes, even though I’ve made absolutely certain that the meshes are all at exactly Z:0.
In addition, the CSV file is not easily readable in Excel, so I divide the data into columns, such that I can more easily set all the posZ values to 0 - and when I save with columns, the errors return, even if I leave the data otherwise untouched. I am unsure as to how to put everything back into a single column once I’ve changed the data, all while preserving the commas.
At least this is progress; the meshes, it would appear, work!