About Orthographic lens

Hi,

I want to find out what setup i should use for the camera in my scene, I want to achieve something like the menu within Portal 2 the same idea “effect”.

So the question should I make use of Orthographic lens on the camera or should i just use the basic camera setup, the scene i’m working on will have the same effect as in portal 2 in the menu without the GUI.

I’m not sure how to setup the 3D world so that i have an static camera(not moving ever) and the ‘actor’ within the world should be stationed but there will also be physics applied to it, some other ‘actors’ will move around within the world… or the area like a wearhouse…

I need that depth of field effect on a stationed camera, must be as if the player looks through a window into an facility.

If this doesn’t make any sence please reply and i’ll try to explain otherwise…

I haven’t played Portal 2, and I’m not sure of the effect you’re referring to, but I’m not sure it’s related to the OrthographicLens. This lens object is useful for rendering things without perspective, which is indeed appropriate for 2-d elements like menu items. But it has nothing to do with depth-of-field, which is a complex subject on its own.

This also has nothing to do with whether the camera is moving or not. Nothing moves by default, so if you create a camera and put it in the world, it will stay there until you move it.

David

Thanks for the reply…

Here is n link to a clip on youtube showing the menu… What i’m looking for is to get the effect the have in the background…

Thanks

Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPthzbly8FQ

What effect is that, precisely? Just the visual look of the thing, kind of misty and a little bit hand-drawn?

You can get some of that misty look easily with fog. The hand-drawn look is mainly the responsibility of the artist(s) who paint the textures in your models. The depth-of-field effect, where objects in the background are a bit blurry, is much harder to do with realtime graphics, but it’s possible. Some of the built-in filters in Panda may help you with this, but I advise you to save advanced effects like this until you have had a bit of practice with the simpler effects.

Or, if your camera is truly locked down and the scene is non-interactive like in the Portal menu, you might consider simply rendering the whole sequence out as a movie, and then playing back the movie at runtime. This gives you the ultimate flexibility for any kind of effect you like, limited only by the sophistication of your rendering tools, and it’s quite possibly the approach that the Portal developers took.

David

Ah… Thanks David.

Helps alot. :slight_smile: I guess ill use the same approach then, now i can start planing a bit more… coz when ever i get to an problem i can’t take my mind of it… until its fixed… or sorted…

I already dit the rest of the planning that was one of the hardest parts :stuck_out_tongue: but yea next up lots of dictionaries, and then physics… :slight_smile: anyway

ps. I’ll have to do everything in realtime… What happens in the scene depends on the user…

Thanks again.
Martin