1.7.1 release

at the end I solved the dot operation trouble by writing my own dot function.
here the code in case somebody needs it:

def dot(cp1, cp2):
	x = cp1.getX()*cp2.getX()
	y = cp1.getY()*cp2.getY()
	z = cp1.getZ()*cp2.getZ()
	return x+y+z

Best regards

OK, I know what’s going on with the vector mess. It was a treacherous NDEBUG ifdef in the getattr method.

I’ll update the runtime.panda3d.org packages tomorrow. As it only occurs during the runtime, it’s not worth making a 1.7.2 right away for, but it’s important enough to have it fixed really soon.

I haven’t debugged the pdeploy issue with makensis yet, but it’s high on my priority list too, and I will get that fixed really soon, or at least implement the hacky workaround that I know will work.

drwr: do you have any thoughts on the glXMakeCurrent issue? Looking at the spec, it seems to me that we’re misusing it anyway when we’re releasing the context. I could be entirely wrong, though.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

I think your proposed fix, to pass None as the Window parameter, is the right thing to do. Is there a different problem that you see in addition to this?

david

I’ve just updated the packages at runtime.panda3d.org, the vector issue should be fixed now.

It also has the updated pdeploy.p3d, with the fixes for nsis. It turns out that subprocess.call was being used incorrectly.

I can’t get packp3d works anymore, could this be related to your last update?

I got this error:

StandardError: Couldn't download import file. 

here the file containing the full error message:
officinepixel.us/panda3d/pack3d_error.txt

I’ve tried deleting .panda3d directory from my home so to forcing reloading of all packaged but don’t changes anything.

many thanks

p.s. link fixed

Your link is dead, but I think that your problem is the same as the one I’ve been hearing about from various people.

I found out I made a mistake in the way I built the 1.0.3 runtime, so I rebuilt it only a couple of hours ago and updated the download page with the updated 1.0.3 builds.

But I’m not sure if that actually fixed the problem.

Actually, I don’t think that that is the problem. I think that _context is not supposed to be NULL at that point, it is supposed to already have been initialised by glxgsg::choose_pixel_format. So something in choose_pixel_format is going wrong, or it is not being called at all for some weird reason.

Unfortunately, everything works fine on my computer, so I cannot debug it here.

OK, the contents.xml on runtime.panda3d.org had faulty hashes. It’s fixed now, so packp3d should work again.

I’m at home at the moment, it works fine here, tomorrow I’ll check it from work.
Thank you very much!

Maybe this helps you:
nopaste.info/cabc579e52.html

I tried that on a Mac. SPACE and then ENTER works, but I get this on the console:

DirectStart: Starting the game.
Known pipe types:
  osxGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
:display:gsg:glgsg(error): at 4011 of panda/src/glstuff/glGraphicsStateGuardian_src.cxx : invalid operation
:display:gsg:glgsg(error): at 2907 of panda/src/glstuff/glGraphicsStateGuardian_src.cxx : invalid operation
:display:gsg:glgsg(error): at 2907 of panda/src/glstuff/glGraphicsStateGuardian_src.cxx : invalid operation
:display:gsg:glgsg(error): at 2780 of panda/src/glstuff/glGraphicsStateGuardian_src.cxx : invalid operation
:display:gsg:glgsg(error): at 4011 of panda/src/glstuff/glGraphicsStateGuardian_src.cxx : invalid operation
:display:gsg:glgsg(error): at 2780 of panda/src/glstuff/glGraphicsStateGuardian_src.cxx : invalid operation
:display(error): Deactivating osxGraphicsStateGuardian.

When I do ENTER x-times and then SPACE once it works, SPACE a second time and it crashes with:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/EventManager.py", line 61, in eventLoopTask
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/EventManager.py", line 55, in doEvents
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/EventManager.py", line 124, in processEvent
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/Messenger.py", line 388, in send
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/Messenger.py", line 473, in __dispatch
  File "/Applications/Panda3D_Mare_Ceti/ynjh_no_bug.py", line 39, in destroy
    self.buffer.clearRenderTextures()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'clearRenderTextures'
:task(error): Exception occurred in PythonTask eventManager
  File "/Applications/Panda3D_Mare_Ceti/ynjh_no_bug.py", line 68, in <module>
    run()
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 2630, in run
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/task/Task.py", line 502, in run
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/task/Task.py", line 460, in step
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/EventManager.py", line 61, in eventLoopTask
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/EventManager.py", line 55, in doEvents
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/EventManager.py", line 124, in processEvent
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/Messenger.py", line 388, in send
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/Messenger.py", line 473, in __dispatch
  File "/Applications/Panda3D_Mare_Ceti/ynjh_no_bug.py", line 39, in destroy
    self.buffer.clearRenderTextures()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'clearRenderTextures'

MBP 2007, Mac OS X.5.8, GF 8600 M GT, Panda SDK 1.7.1

Cartoon Shader Basic, Fireflies -> “Toon Shader: Video driver does not support multiple render targets”
Cartoon Shader Advanced -> works
On my iMac the Firefly sample throws the same error currently, but lets say a year ago it worked.

Shadow Mapping Basic -> works, but low FPS
Shadow Mapping Advanced -> crashes:

:gobj(error): Could not read shader file: caster.sha
  File "/Developer/Examples/Panda3D/Shadows/Tut-Shadow-Mapping-Advanced.py", line 227, in <module>
    World()
  File "/Developer/Examples/Panda3D/Shadows/Tut-Shadow-Mapping-Advanced.py", line 145, in __init__
    lci.setShader(Shader.load('caster.sha'))
TypeError: NodePath.setShader() argument 1 must be Shader, not NoneType

Tomorrow I might have access to a Snow Leo notebook and could test things there. On the IRC channel Craig reported severe problems with the Fireflies sample on X.6.

i have a weird problem on Ubuntu 10.10 64bit. i have installed the .deb correct version. i cannot even manage to run the samples.

I am able to duplicate this on fresh install of Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit and on my old installation

pastebin.com/vGvNRrqB

i am pretty sure it has something to do with Ubuntu assuming panda is located in /var/mail, i suspected first that it only was my system messing up but this happens also on a fresh install of Ubuntu so i decided to ask if anyone knows anything about this?

You’re running it as a shell script, while it’s a python script. (I guess it’s missing a shebang.) Run it like this instead:

python Tut-Asteroids.py

Alright, installed 1.7.1 on a 2009 MBP with X.6.6.

Craig said I should test the following:

import direct.directbase.DirectStart

base.win.makeTextureBuffer('',1,1)

run()

It creates an empty window and throws the following every frame:

<Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSCopyRegion : Null pointer

Panda in general works but all scripts throw some variant of this error on the Terminal:

Known pipe types:
  osxGraphicsPipe
Sat Mar 19 12:40:41 noname ppython[555] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSCopyRegion : Null pointer
Sat Mar 19 12:40:41 noname ppython[555] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Sat Mar 19 12:40:56 noname ppython[555] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: _CGSFindSharedWindow: WID 650
Sat Mar 19 12:40:56 noname ppython[555] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSRemoveSurface: Invalid window 0x28a

or in a different flavor:

Known pipe types:
  osxGraphicsPipe
Sat Mar 19 12:38:06 noname ppython[538] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSCopyRegion : Null pointer
Sat Mar 19 12:38:06 noname ppython[538] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Sat Mar 19 12:38:15 noname ppython[538] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: _CGSFindSharedWindow: WID 590
Sat Mar 19 12:38:15 noname ppython[538] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSRemoveSurface: Invalid window 0x24e

Tut-Shadow-Mapping-Basic works, low FPS, throwing this error onto Terminal every frame:

<Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSCopyRegion : Null pointer

Shadow Mapping Advanced crashes with:

Known pipe types:
  osxGraphicsPipe
Sat Mar 19 12:46:00 noname ppython[574] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSCopyRegion : Null pointer
Sat Mar 19 12:46:00 noname ppython[574] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Sat Mar 19 12:46:00 noname ppython[574] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSCopyRegion : Null pointer
:gobj(error): Could not read shader file: caster.sha
  File "/Developer/Examples/Panda3D/Shadows/Tut-Shadow-Mapping-Advanced.py", line 227, in <module>
    World()
  File "/Developer/Examples/Panda3D/Shadows/Tut-Shadow-Mapping-Advanced.py", line 145, in __init__
    lci.setShader(Shader.load('caster.sha'))
TypeError: NodePath.setShader() argument 1 must be Shader, not NoneType
Sat Mar 19 12:46:01 noname ppython[574] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: _CGSFindSharedWindow: WID 902
Sat Mar 19 12:46:01 noname ppython[574] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSRemoveSurface: Invalid window 0x386

Similarily Tut-Glow-Advanced runs at low FPS and throws an error every frame:

ppython[590] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSCopyRegion : Null pointer

Shadow no Shader looks garbled, nothing is moving, this error on Terminal:

ppython[587] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSCopyRegion : Null pointer

Fireflies and Toon Shader Basic both give the error about lacking graphics card features mentioned above. Toon Shader Advanced runs fine.

pview file.bam

is not recognized anymore,

/Developer/Tools/Panda3D/pview file.bam

is however.

Oh yes beginners mistake thank you very much!

XP SP3, gforce5200go(mobile)
Panda SDK 1.7.1
random sample: Tut-Cartoon-Basic.py
Output:
"
Toon Shader: Video card not powerful enouth to do image postprocessing
"
(((
Panda SDK 1.7.0 - no problem

IMHO
Bad idea - to merge the documentation for the specific class with documentation of his ancestors (for example, "PGButton"and "PandaNode)

OK, I can revert that, then. It’s just that people seemed to have trouble with hiding the methods of the parent class.

For the record, I will continue posting about the Mesa crash in this thread:
[segfault with panda3d)