P3D Default Shaders

That’s a lot of questions in one post. I’ll respond inline.

The built-in shadow system has only improved in that it now supports point lights in the latest master. However, writing custom shaders for shadow mapping has become significantly easier due to Panda being able to set up the shadow mapping and provide shadow maps and coordinates to the shaders automatically.

There is a filter for volumetric lighting, and it has not changed since 1.8.

Multisample antialiasing is supported, even for buffers, and various bugs were fixed that prevented this from working.

Not without writing your own shaders.

It has improved overall. We keep finding new opportunities to make Panda faster.

It would not require an entire rewrite. There are proof-of-concept ports for Android or iOS, but neither is getting the attention they deserve.

There is also an experimental WebGL port which works fine on my Android phone.

In 1.10, hardware skinning is now supported out of the box. From 1.9.1 and above we also make it easy for people to implement it in their own shaders. See:

I agree that the focus going forward should be on providing good shaders out of the box. One of my top priorities is to move towards providing physically based rendering out of the box. 1.9 was a big step in the right direction.

That said, if you want a configuration of Panda that has great PBR shaders, ambient occlusion, shadowing etc. by default, I heartily recommend that you check out the RenderPipeline, a modern physically based pipeline built on top of Panda3D:
github.com/tobspr/RenderPipeline